Executive Director - Growing Hope - Ypsilanti
Are you an excellent leader of people and programs? Are you looking for an opportunity to be a key part of the local food system and Ypsilanti community? If so, please keep reading!
About Growing Hope
Growing Hope’s mission is to help people improve their lives and communities through gardening and increasing access to healthy food.
Growing Hope has been empowering local communities to grow fresh produce, to revitalize neighborhoods, and to teach one another the beauty and hope that comes from nurturing soil, seeds and self as a federally recognized 501c3 nonprofit organization since 2003.
Growing Hope began with the vision of using community and school gardens—and the education that they provide—as vehicles for positive social, economic, environmental, and neighborhood change. In 2005, recognizing that food insecurity is a key issue for many in the Ypsilanti area, we expanded the ways Growing Hope was providing access to and education around healthy food.
Our work now includes supporting gardening in home, school, and community settings; managing and advocating for farmers markets and farm stands; increasing economic development through food and agriculture; and engaging 300 youth and teens each year in healthy cooking, nutrition, and gardening; and advocating for local to national policy change to support healthy schools, families, and communities.
About the opportunity:
Growing Hope is hiring a new Executive Director that will manage a staff of 15-25 full-time employees and interns, and a budget of approximately $750,000.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to bring their people management, operational and financial skills and ideas to a great staff with a group of incredible volunteers, engaged board and solid vision. We are looking for a leader who can bring out the best in their team and provide operational excellence to the organization.
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall administration of the organization. The Executive Director candidate has demonstrated proficiency in all aspects of administration and has maintained a high level of performance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Ensuring that resources are in place to accomplish important mission goals, recruiting and retaining staff, keeping teams motivated and capable of exceeding expectations, and building the kind of corporate culture which supports the mission.
- Oversee and implement appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization.
- Hire and retain competent qualified staff.
- Lead, coach, develop and retain Growing Hope’s high-performance team
- Enter into signing all notes, agreements and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Implement strategic plan to ensure that the organization can successfully fulfill its mission in the future.
- Enhance Growing Hope’s image and reputation by being active and visible in the community and beyond, and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Work closely and effectively with professional, non-profit, civic and private organizations.
Financial Performance and Viability
- Develop resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Growing Hope, to include submission to the Board of a proper annual budget and monthly financial statements which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
Fundraising & Communications
- Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and broader expansion goals while simultaneously servicing and retiring debt.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications, from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger ‘brand’ for Growing Hope.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
- Experience establishing positive and proactive communications with the Board of Directors regarding the strategic plan, policies and programs.
Experience and Qualifications
- Demonstrated success in people and program management.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising.
- Participated in major giving and corporate solicitations.
- Experience in financial management, including budget preparation, cash flow management, and analysis of financial reports.
- Experience working in urban, college, professional and working communities is valuable.
- Ability to work effectively and diplomatically with a variety of publics, Board of Directors, community groups, government agencies, etc.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally with individuals and both large and small groups.
- A broad understanding of federal and state laws related to the operation of the organization.
- The salary range for this position is $55,000 - $65,000.