City Manager - City of Clawson - Oakland County, Michigan
The Mayor and City Council seek to recruit a new City Manager for the City of Clawson. This individual must have the skills and experience to guide Clawson with an appropriate combination of passion for public service, financial acumen, empowering leadership, and operational skills.
The City of Clawson, known as the “Little City with a Big Heart,” is conveniently located just north of Detroit within prosperous Oakland County. It is a fully-developed residential community well known for its vibrant annual traditions such as the Fourth of July Celebration, Fall Festival and Lion’s Club Car Show. The community is tightly knit with a very engaged Council, and citizenry. Residents rave about how Clawson residents truly care about each other, and stories abound about how much neighbors welcome, care, and look out for each other.
The population of Clawson is approximately 12,000 individuals and covers just over two square miles, thus residents enjoy the ability to walk or bike to various places of interest throughout the city. The City offers a range of affordable housing options with styles ranging from historic homes to latest in designs. The downtown area offers a variety of thriving small shops and excellent restaurants, while larger shopping centers and state-of-the art medical facilities are within close proximity.
This position is the chief administrative officer of the city.
A link to the budget, fiscal detail, and Organizational Chart can be found here.
The City Manager is responsible for the implementation of the policies and direction set by the City Council and includes the following:
- Directing and supervising all City Departments;
- Enforcing municipal ordinances, charter provisions, and other laws and regulations;
- Overseeing all personnel functions of the City;
- Preparing annual operating budget;
- Providing administrative support at all Council Meetings;
- Reporting to Council on a continuing as well as ad hoc basis on the City's finances, operations, and future needs; and,
- Supervising the purchasing activity of the City.
- Assuring positive relationships with the public;
- Coordinating public information;
- Investigating and adopting new technologies; and,
- Working with outside governmental and non-governmental agencies.
We are seeking a facilitator, team builder and problem solver with the appropriate experiences and track record of success. We seek a collaborator and consensus builder that supports the City Council, City Staff and residents, and will help implement new initiatives and continue the tradition of delivering excellent City services.
This role has many facets, and the successful candidate will be an excellent people developer, project manager, strategic thinker, and community engager. Candidates should demonstrate a sense of passion for public service and empathy for a wide range of perspectives and needs.
The City Manager will have a key role in helping to address key issues that are facing the City, including:
- Low revenue growth
- Key infrastructure upgrades and replacements
- Downtown development & expansion
- Preservation of institutional knowledge
- Environmental sustainability
Experience with the following areas of subject matter is helpful:
- Collective Bargaining
- City Planning
- A Bachelor’s degree in business, public administration, government, economics, social science, planning, or a related field is required.
The next City Manager must be a leader who embodies the spirit of public service and displays deep compassion for the community. This individual must foster a culture of open communication while collaborating with council, neighborhood communities, local organizations, labor associations, businesses, and residents from across the City to achieve excellence.
They must have demonstrated expertise of leading and supporting initiatives in a highly complex environment.
In terms of the performance and competencies desired for the position, we would highlight the following:
- Successful track record of managing an entity similar to Clawson in terms of size, complexity, and culture, with clear strategic results; has strong financial skills; executes policies efficiently and effectively by championing best-in-class operational practices and a culture of operational excellence.
- The ability to attract and recruit top talent, inspire the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, manage performance, and be widely viewed as a strong leader who engages and supports others.
- A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in their approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for Clawson; demonstrates strong negotiation skills.
- The ability to advise the Mayor and City Council regarding both positive and negative policy implications by having the aptitude to seek, analyze, and present data from a variety of sources to support multiple viewpoints and to align residents with the City’s overall strategy.
- Naturally connects with, and builds strong relationships with others; demonstrates strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively. Appreciates the wide range of experiences and perspectives in the community. Seeks to engage broadly.
- An ability to inspire trust internally and externally through compelling influence, powerful charisma, passion in their beliefs, and active drive; understands the importance of finding common ground.
- Encourages others to share the spotlight and visibly celebrates and supports the success of the team.
- $85,000 - $95,000
- Please send resume and cover letter to: Info@AmyCellTalent.com
- Applications are requested by March 1, 2019
- Candidates seeking confidentiality under Michigan law should clearly state their intentions