Occupational Therapist - Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels - Ypsilanti
Are you an occupational therapist with a passion for senior quality of life? Would you enjoy launching a program that could become a national model? If so, this could be the opportunity of a lifetime for you!
About the opportunity:
Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels is the recipient of a grant to manage a program with Habitat for Humanity to improve the lives of local senior citizens. The Occupational Therapist (OT) will independently implement a research protocol for the "CAPABLE Disability Intervention" program after completion of required protocol-specific training. The OT will assess and implement strategies at people's homes within the community. This program consists of six occupational therapy contacts with study participants (approximately 150 people over the course of three years). The OT will meet with participants and conduct a semi-structured clinical interview to identify and prioritize problem areas.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the job include:
- Observe the participant’s performance for safety, efficiency, and difficulty and presence of environmental barriers for each targeted area.
- Engage the participant in problem solving to identify behavioral and environmental contributors to performance difficulties in subsequent sessions.
- Provide balance, muscle strengthening, and fall-recovery techniques in the fourth session.
- Reinforce strategy use, and review problem solving, refined strategy use, and provide education and resources to address future needs for environmental adjustments in the final sessions.
- Act as a study liaison between clinical team and community partner (includes meetings, weekly check-ins, update spread sheets)
- Maintain and manage equipment used by study participants (inventory, order, transport)
- Assist in resolving complaints from participants in relationship to home modifications and equipment.
The ideal candidate will have:
- In home assessment and visit experience as an Occupational Therapist
- Ability to work in a team approach
- Practice experience with older adults in the community
- Experience with home modification (a plus)
- Familiar with evidence-based programs like CAPABLE by Johns Hopkins
This position can be full-time with a salary & benefits, or part-time as a contractor.