Township Superintendent - Charter Township of Redford
The Charter Township of Redford Board of Trustees seek to recruit a new Superintendent. This individual must have the skills and experience to guide the township with an appropriate combination of economic and community development, interpersonal, leadership and operational skills.
Redford Township, is a “inner-ring suburb” located a few miles west of Detroit within Wayne County. The town is 11.2 square miles, and is home to 48,000 residents who reprepresent a wide range of religious, racial, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. Redford Township’s central location offers the best of both worlds; a quiet suburban feel, while being a stone’s throw from major urban, culture and job centers.
The township has an impressive network of parks and other indoor and outdoor recreational amenities and a wide range of housing options. The community is close-knit, and many resident families have lived in the area for generations. The Board of Trustees is highly engaged, and well supported by long-tenured township staff and volunteers.
This position is the chief administrative officer of the township. Department leadership is highly competent and passionate about delivering excellent services to township residents. A link to the additional details of specific job duties outlined in the Code of Ordinances can be found at: https://library.municode.com/mi/redford_charter_township,_(wayne_co.)/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=COOR_CH2AD
The Superintendent is responsible for the implementation of the policies and direction set by the Board of Trustees. The powers and duties granted to the Superintendent include:
- Ensuring that all laws and township ordinances are enforced
- Managing and supervising all public improvements of the township
- Managing the construction, repair, maintenance, lighting and cleaning of streets, sidewalks, bridges, pavements, sewers, and of all the public buildings
- Managing and supervising the operation of all township utilities
- Preserving the property, tools, and appliances of the township
- Attending all meetings of the township board, with the right to take part in discussions, but without the right to vote
- Being a member, ex officio, of all committees of the township board
- Preparing and administering the annual budget
- Being responsible to the township board for the efficient administration of all departments of the township government
- Acting as the purchasing agent for the township
- Assuming the duties and responsibilities as personnel director of all township employees
The Superintendent also performs other administrative duties not limited in the Charter such as:
- Assuring positive relationships with the public;
- Coordinating public information;
- Investigating and adopting new technologies; and,
- Working with outside governmental and non-governmental agencies.
We are seeking a facilitator, team builder and problem solver with the appropriate experience and a track record of success. We seek a collaborator and consensus builder that supports the Board of Trustees and residents, and will help implement new initiatives and continue the tradition of delivering excellent Township services.
This recently created role has many facets, and the successful candidate will be an excellent team builder, project manager, strategic thinker, and community engager. Candidates should demonstrate a sense of passion for public service and empathy for a wide range of perspectives and needs.
The Superintendent will have a critical role in helping to address key issues that are facing the Township including:
- Infrastructure needs
- Community and economic development
- Population shifts and demographic changes
- Supporting quality of life amenities including recreation resources
- Talent attraction
Experience with the following areas of subject matter is helpful:
- Economic development
- Collective bargaining & union relations
- Understanding of municipal and community development national trends
- Municipal laws, regulations, rules
Qualified candidates will possess at least a bachelor's degree (master’s degree is preferred) in public administration, public policy, business administration or other related fields.
The next Superintendent should be a leader who embodies the spirit of public service and displays deep compassion for the community. This individual should foster a culture of open communication while collaborating with the Board of Trustees, neighborhood communities, local organizations, labor associations, businesses, and residents from across the Township to achieve excellence.
In terms of the performance and competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
Creativity and passion regarding community development. Would identify partnership and grant opportunities to attract new businesses, such as supermarkets, to the Township. Would seek out and build relationships with regional and state organizations to take advantage of economic development programs and opportunities that could help attract new businesses and residents to the Township.
Successful track record of managing an entity similar to Redford Township in terms of size, complexity, and culture, with clear strategic results; has strong financial skills; executes policies efficiently and effectively by championing best-in-class operational practices and a culture of operational excellence.
The ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, manage performance, and be widely viewed as a strong leader who engages and supports others.
A savvy and assertive leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in their approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for Redford Township; demonstrates strong negotiation skills; manages change and transition situations effectively.
The ability to advise the Board of Trustees regarding both positive and negative policy implications by having the aptitude to seek, analyze, and present data from a variety of sources to support multiple viewpoints and to align departments with the Township’s overall strategy.
Naturally connects with and builds strong relationships with others; demonstrates strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively. Appreciates the wide range of experiences and perspectives in the community. Seeks to engage broadly.
An ability to inspire trust internally and externally through data driven recommendations and clearly identifying what is best for the Township; understands the importance of finding common ground.
- Please send your current resume and cover letter by email to: Info@AmyCellTalent.com
- Applications are requested by Sunday, November 24, 2019.